Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I can't say that I live in a one horse town because actually there are many horses around our community. However, downtown Deland is considered a historic attraction.
There are no high rise buildings, no thriving masses walking around from store to store. Our stores offer free homemade cookies, and coffee just for stopping in. Our citizens are always saying things like,"thank you for stopping by." Garage (tag) sales are our greatest weekend attractions in the daytime, and at night we have art fairs, outdoor concerts in the middle of downtown, movies, and bowling.
We also have Stetson University, and all the kids who party at the few downtown clubs.
Unlike up north were there is a bar on every corner, we have a church on every corner. Church is the place to see and be seen in a small town. If you go to church they know about it, and if you don't they know that too. There are all sorts of groups that you can join, or volunteer to be in.
For someone who comes from the big city, this place can be heaven, or hell. There are days that I would give anything to be standing next to the Sears Tower, and squinting up at the sky to see if I can get a peek at the top of the building. There are nights when I walk outside my house, and see what seem to be millions of stars as bright as hanging flashlights illuminating everything within reach.
This is the place where people who have had enough of big city life come to take root.This is a place where people sit on their front porch and talk well into the night. We are not marred by big city crime, and congestion. Everyone knows everyone else, and newcomers are welcomed with gift baskets from the invisible welcome wagon. I say invisible because they leave the basket on your front porch along with a welcome wagon coupon book in which you find such treasures as pioneer days discounts.
This is also the place were slave quarters are still prominent and considered to have historic value, thus the reminder of what the South used to be still resonates as you pass many of these poorly kept properties.
There are livestock farms, horse farms, fern farms, and the occassional Southern mansions.
This is also the place where every other driveway has at least one pick up truck. Then there are the hunters who have their hunting truck, and their every day truck.
Neighbors keep their hunting dogs in the back yard in enclosed structures, or fences.
At night you are lulled to sleep by the sounds of crickets and frogs. In the daytime you may see a bear running through the neighborhood. I have seen it myself. Being from the big city, I assumed that it was a very big dog when I first spotted it just a few blocks from my home. However, as I drove closer I realized that it was a baby bear. Knowing that if there is a baby bear there must be a mama bear nearby, I quickly got away from it.
I walk six miles a night whith a walking partner. We pass many other walkers on our nightly treks. This is something that I never did in the big city. I love these walks because not only am I feeling better, but I also get to see the country life up close. We pass homes which have been around for hundreds of years, and homes that were newly built for people like myself from the big cities.
Many of the troubles that plague the big cities are still prevelant in this little town. There are still addicts, drug dealers, and prostitues. The difference is that you know who they are, and who their familes are also. This is a good thing, and a bad thing. When your kid gets in trouble everyone knows.
There are parties every weekend. Someone is always celebrating something. There is no need for an invite. The protocol is that if you feel like going, you show up.
I don't know that I would choose to live here if I was faced with the opportunity again. I really miss the hustle and bustle of the big city. I miss the people, the traffic, and the public transportation systems that take you anywher you want to go. There are really only three modes of transportation out here, you drive, you walk, or you take your bike. Unless of course you have a horse.
SO, this is my life. This is where I have planted my roots. It may sound boring to a lot of people, but it is a simple existence. This is my lot in life, and it comes with a 1/2 acre of land, and seven dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment