Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Attitude Is Everything

Today, on the third day of my new job search, I had an encounter with a woman over the phone. First of all, human resource managers can be intimidating. Let's face it, they have the power to hire you, or not. And, in this job market they wield more power than ever.
That being said, I can also say that a little niceness can go a long way. I understand that with much power comes much responsibility, and that it is not easy to be responsible for hiring someone you don't know will be a good fit for your company.
This woman, whom we will call Ms. X, not only questioned my motives for wanting the position, she also went on to tell me that I would have to dress professionally, be well groomed, work very hard, and be accountable for my performance. Now, I have been out of the loop on the hiring process for a while, but I would think that those are all things that a prospective job candidate would do regardless. I can't imagine anyone showing up for an interview in casual attire, unkempt, be a slacker, and not care about how they perform. That is just common sense. I suppose the problem with common sense is that it is not very common.
Well, I had my own questions, and explained to her that in order not to waste her time or mine, I would like to ask her about the position, and compensation before she set the interview.
It seemed obvious that she had not encountered a job applicant in the past who would inquire such things of her prior to the hiring process. Honestly, is there anything wrong with not wanting to waste someone's time? Why would I go on an interview if I knew that it was not going to be mutually beneficial?
By the way, I did secure the appointment for an interview. I know what the position entails, and what the minimum compensation package will be if I am chosen for the position.
I believe that we have to be more assertive in our efforts to gain employment. Being unemployeed does not mean that you are unemployeable. Everyone has something to bring to the table.
Once you spend as much time as I have in the sales field, you gain the confidence that comes with experience. While an employer can hire a non-experienced, perky, young thing, I could probably sell circles around her. I have the training, and the experience. Of course that doesn't mean that I am not willing to learn new ways of doing things, or that I would not value constructive criticism, that would be arrogant.
If I had any advice to give to a younger person, I would tell them to take a sales position (at least for a few years). No business can stay in business without selling their product or service. Sales is a career that is always going to be in demand, and the compensation is limitless. It is truly one of the few jobs in which you control how much money you make.
Hell, in a good year I make more money than my doctor. That's not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment